A limework of geniusness that constitutes a collaboration between two of Liberty's ladies. This is our experience.
This is our journal. These are our
recipes, crafts, activities, ideas, thoughts, exercises and laughs. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Orzo, anyone?

Well, well, well... it's been quite a while since we last posted.  Sorry about that!  I have just been loving my new mommy time with my baby girl and Whitney has been out enjoying the world and serving people.  She's the best!

So, I have had a nice box of Orzo pasta sitting in the cupboard for a while and I finally decided it was time to use it.  (I am the type of person who saves a special ingredient and then waits so long not to use it that I forget it is even there.  I love Orzo, so I've have the box for almost too long!) Anyways, my husband and I are moving in less than 2 months so we are trying to use up all of our non-perishable food items so we can save money and have less to worry about when moving time comes.  Here's what I made:

Garlic Chicken and Spinach Orzo


Ingredients

  • 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite-size pieces
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
  • grated Parmesan cheese for topping
  1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo pasta, cook according to package and drain.
  2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the garlic and red pepper 1 minute, until garlic is golden brown. Stir in chicken, season with salt, and cook 2 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned and juices run clear. Reduce heat to medium, and mix in the parsley and cooked orzo. Place spinach in the skillet. Continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese. 
The only changes I made:  Half the garlic and Half the red pepper flakes (only because spicy foods are not the best for breastfeeding... I am sure the recipe will taste great as the amounts called for)
I loved it.  My husband loved it.  It has starch, meat, and veggies.  Serve it with a bowl of fruit and a glass of milk and you're doing alright!
Hopefully this recipe is something you might like!  If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it!



No comments:

Post a Comment